Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2013 - Appetizers and Entrees

When I went up to Sacramento last weekend for the 3rd annual Vegan Chef Challenge, I knew I was going to be eating a LOT of food. What I didn't expect was for all the food to be so freaking good, though. I was planning to go everywhere with at least one other person so that we could split appetizers and entrees, but I found myself selfishly wishing I could have all of it to myself.

A lot of things were shared, however, and I'm glad, because it meant that I got to stuff a wider variety of foods into my face.

Below are the appetizers and entrees I indulged in over the course of a day and a half.

Appetizers and Entrees


We tried a couple places for lunch, but very few were serving challenge items at lunchtime (be sure to call ahead before you show up somewhere, because in the past I've also encountered places that have run out of their vegan foods in addition to those who just weren't serving it at that time or that day).

Magpie was one of the locations that wasn't serving a challenge lunch, but we decided to eat there anyway. Our vegan waitress suggested a couple things which ended up tasting great--a vegan sandwich and a veganizable sandwich. Pictured below is the banh mi with avocado subbed for beef (left) and the vegan mushroom panini (right), which includes a tasty white bean paste. Both were excellent.

Avocado Banh Mi (left), Vegan Mushroom Panini with White Bean Paste (right)

Tower Bridge Bistro is a MUST DINE. I'd never been before, but this time we made our reservations based on all the buzz from previous years and had the full course.

It's required that you get the full course, but it's only $28 for an appetizer, entree and dessert, and it's more than worth it to try all three.

I had the Purple Peruvian Potato Bisque for my appetizer. My friend tried the Moroccan Style Carrot and Parsnip Salad.

Purple Peruvian Potato Bisque with Leeks and Smokey Chipotle - Tower Bridge Bistro

Moroccan Style Carrot and Parsnip Salad with Buckwheat Crepes - Tower Bridge Bistro

We met the organizer of Vegan Chef Challenge here, who was such a sweetheart (and who I appreciate  immensely for organizing this!), as well as the chef, Chef Clay Purcell, who was very generous to come over and chat with us and who does unbelievable things with vegan food.

My friend and I decided to have the same entree--Thai Coconut Curry with Tofu, Roasted Cauliflower, Jasmine Rice, Spaghetti Squash and Sunflower Seeds. This was my favorite entree from the challenge.

Thai Coconut Curry from Tower Bridge Bistro - Sac Vegan Chef Challenge 2013

One of the places we had to try was 58 Degrees & Holding Co., a wine bar in Midtown. They had a GREAT challenge appetizer--Spinach and Mushroom Fritters. If there were a huge pile of these, I think we could have just kept on eating them forever.

Spinach and Mushroom Fritters from 58 Degrees & Holding Co.

For their entree, they did some really fun things with butternut squash, including a puree, a galette (the miniature pizza looking thing--this one was my favorite from the plate! The flavor of the compote was a bit sweet and provided a great balance) and butternut squash jerkey with arugula, lolla, and a maple tofu-bacon vinaigrette.

Butternut Squash 3 Ways from 58 Degrees & Holding Co. - Veg Chef Challenge 2013

And we cannot forget The Porch! After having brunch here, I came back for appetizers and I'm so glad I did. You know how people always somehow seem to bring up beets when talking about why they could never eat vegan? The Porch just gave all those people a big middle finger. These deep fried beets with Cajun seasoning and veganaise remoulade were way too good to be appropriate.

Deep fried beets from The Porch's 2013 Vegan Chef Challenge menu

We thought those were good, but when the herb and pecan grilled tomatoes over grits came out, we just about died. Absolutely fantastic.

Herb & Pecan Grilled Tomatoes – served over grits with roasted green chili sauce

We ate at The Porch early in the evening, so we were trying to keep it relatively light. As such, we didn't get to try the Black Eyed Peas burger. However, I'm sure it was dangerously delicious. Hopefully it ends up on the year-round menu, like I believe some of their brunch items did from last year, because I really would love to try it next time I'm in town!

Vegan Chef Challenge is an annual event in Sacramento that runs through the month of October. Learn more at the Vegan Chef Challenge website and Facebook page.

Check out my other 2013 Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge Posts:

- Brunch Roundup!
- Desserts (Too Many and Not Enough)

No comments:

Post a Comment